Welcome to doctoral studies at the Department of Women’s and Children’s Health
Doctoral studies constitute an important part of our departments’ activity with active research in multiple subjects. Information about doctoral studies is available at the faculty webpage. You can also find information, and local instructions for our department, in the links to the left. Good luck with your doctoral studies!
- Hanna Taylor (Pediatrics, IMCH and overall)
- Agata Kostrzewa (Obstetrics/Gynecology and Clinical psychology)
Application doctoral studies
Application for admission (online form) at the faculty website
- Guidelines for Third-cycle Education Obs! New guidelines 2021-01-01.
- Form financial plan
- Certificate of absence from clinical duties for doctoral studies (for use in Sweden)
- Certificate of absence from clinical duties for doctoral supervision (for use in Sweden)
Meetings of the Committee for doctoral education (KUF)
Please note! KUF normally meets once every month, on a tuesday. The Head of department has to approve every application at latest on the friday 11 days before the meeting. Since the application also is reviewed internally it has to be finished well ahead of the deadline. Ideally, the application should be submitted as a pdf to the research education administrator at least two weeks before the meeting. Also consider that the process might take several weeks in case there is something that needs to be supplemented.
Procedure for admission
Formal decisions about admission to graduate studies are taken by the Committee for doctoral education at the Faculty of Medicine. For them to handle the application it’s required to be approved by the department head. At the Department of Women's and Children's Health the head of department has delegated the task of reviewing all applications. The review group consists of:
- Professor Kjell Alving, (Director of postgraduate studies at the department)
- Assistant professor Erik Olsson
- Post doc representantive Kine Johansen
- PhD student Frida Viirman
- Administrative support Hanna Taylor (pediatrics, IMCH)/Agata Kostrzewa (obstetrics/gynecology, clinical psychology)
- To start the application process the PhD student and main supervisor is required to have an staff AKKA-login. Contact the research education administrator to be registered in AKKA. The PhD student fills the application online form (the preliminary individual study plan). The main supervisor writes the study plan.
- Once the application is complete, the PhD student clicks “Save and close”, download the PDF-file and send to the research education administrator for coordination of the internal review group.
- After the application is approved by the review group the PhD student is notified that the application can be forwarded (by clicking "Send" in the application system") to the head of department who in turn approves and thus sends it to the Committee for doctoral education. If revisions are required the supervisor instead sends the application back to the PhD student.
- After admittance to the doctoral education, the PhD student and the supervisors will make a revision of the individual study plan in the onlline form and send it to KUF. The revised study plan should reach KUF within 6 months after admission (at 100% activity). See the post-registration seminar (PRS) as a part of this process at the department.
Master degree. 240 ECTS credits of which 60 ECTS credits are required on advanced level. Education at the second level of relevance in the research field.
Announcement of PhD position
According to the Swedish law (Högskoleförordningen 7 kap 37 §) PhD positions should be announced unless one of the following exceptions are met:
- The PhD student is undergoing the education employed by an employer other than the university.
- The PhD student has previously started the education at a different university.
- If there are similar special circumstances.
Exceptions according to the third paragraph above can be done for a person with specific external funding intended for postgraduate studies and obtained in competition.
Planned funding should be given for 4 years (full-time) or 8 years (part-time). In the template document, specify which contributors who provide the financing and attach it to the application.
- For county employees, certificate from the clinic director
- For other employer-funded training, a copy of agreement is attached
- At least two supervisors.
- The main supervisor should have participated in the Research Training’s Supervisors’ Information Day. Read more at the faculty website.
- At least one supervisor should be assistant professor (docent).
- One of the supervisors should be employed or co-opted to Uppsala University.
- The main principle is that the main supervisor should be employed or affiliated to the Department of Women's and Children's Health, and have the main part of their research here.
Attach certificate from the supervisor course.
Attach certificate of absence from clinical duties for doctoral supervision if the main supervisor works at the County Council.
- The examiner must be at least a docent,
- Teacher employed by Uppsala University,
- Active in the department in which the doctoral student is registered,
- The examiner and supervisor must be two different and independent people,
- The examiner should not be examiner for too many PhD students (max 6 students), check this with FUG.
- Should chair and participate in the Post-Registration Seminar.
- Should participate in the yearly follow-up of the individual study plan.
- Should sign for some of the PhD students credits in Ladok (for credits without any other responsible examiner).
- Is encouraged to participate in the halftime seminar.
- The examiner may be chair of the public defence but may never be on the examining committee.
Head of department
Attached separately on 2-3 A4 pages written by the supervisors. Headings: Title, Background, Aim, Preliminary Findings, Work Plan, Method, Significance, References. The research should include 4 years.
Certified copy of qualifications must be attached. Transcripts from universities outside Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland and Iceland will be sent to Swedish Higher Education Authority (Universitetskanslerämbetet) for assessment.
Certificate of completed TOEFL test
For students with foreign education/degree, but not for students with a Nordic university degree, native English speakers or if the education is undergone in English. The latter should be verified with a certificate from the university in question or from Swedish Higher Education Authority (Universitetskanslerämbetet).
- Post-registration seminar (PRS) should be performed for PhD students who are registered after 1/1 2020. An exception from performing a PRS could be given in special cases, if it is explained to FUG.
- PRS should be carried out in good time before the revised individual study plan should be sent to KUF (within 6 months after admittance at 100% activity, see guidelines 1.4).
- The main supervisor is the main responsible person for organising the PRS. The organization of the seminar should be in coordination with the KBH PhD administration that will help by assign a FUG representative and announce the seminar on the department mailing list.
- The preliminary research plan, written by the supervisors, should be expanded and clarified by the PhD student and supervisors after acceptance to the research education.
- Mandatory participants in the PRS are the PhD student, the main supervisor, the examiner and an independent senior researcher ("reviewer") at the department (at least associate professor, should be able to understand the project), as well as a representative from FUG. These participants should get access to the revised research plan at least three weeks before the seminar.
- PRS could be performed within the scope of one of the seminar series at the department, or at a separate seminar, but a separate announcement of the event should always be made to all of the department. Note that a well performed PRS could need a total of 60 minutes.
- The examiner should be the chairperson of the PRS.
- Suitable duration: a 20-30 minute presentation of the research plan etc, and 15-30 minutes’ discussion. Total time: max 60 minutes.
- Presentation language: Optional, suggested is the language that the PhD student is comfortable with. Focus is on the content, not the presentation.
- Apart from the research plan, the PhD student should present how to manage the ethical clearance, biobank samples, as well as data and GDPR aspects.
- Distribution of areas of responsibilities:
- It is up to the main supervisor to take notes during the discussion and send in a revised individual study plan to KUF afterwards.
- The reviewer should focus on the research plan.
- The examiner should focus on other conditions, for example supervisors, ethical clearance, time for research etc.
- PRS is not an examination, instead it should be used to highlight weaknesses in the individual study plan - especially in the research plan - that should later be taken into consideration.
Forms and important information
Activity and financial support
According to decision from the vice chancellor, information about postgraduate activity and financial support is reported in Uppdok twice a year in six-months periods – January-June and July to December
Fulltime studies is reported as 100% per semester which means the total research activity should be 800% when the education is completed.
The PhD student and main supervisor should, in communication with the examiner and the other supervisors, once a year follow up how the research education progresses. The Annual Review formshould be sent on May 31 at the latest each year to the research education administrator at the department for tallying and subsequent review of the research education headmaster. PhD students who are registered before the first of January or defend after the first of January must send in the Annual Review, but it is not necessary for those who defend before the first of January or are registered after the first of January the same year.
Changing of supervisors/examiner/Changing of study plan
When a supervisor is changed a form should be signed and sent to the research education administrator, who will send it to the Committee for doctoral education. When there is a change in the study plan, the same form should be used, and sent in together with the new study plan. You can download the form at the Medical Faculty website ("Amendments to individual study plan").
Termination/break of research studies
Tick the box for cancellation of the training in the form for Activity and financial support and send it to the research education administrator.
PhD students’ employment conditions
For more information on postgraduate work and employment, visit "Doctoral student" in the Employee portal. For working conditions, see the guidelines for third-cycle education.
PhD students at the Medical Faculty can apply for a scholarship called "non-graduated researcher's grants" for a maximum of four times during the education period. The grants are announced by the scholarship secretariat in autumn.
Courses and course credits
Guidelines for course credits
The PhD student register for the compulsory courses through the Faculty of Medicine website. It is also possible to sign up for other non-mandatory courses. Here you can also find information about courses outside of Uppsala University.
See the complete guidelines for assigning credits for the theory element in the research education in the guidelines for for third-cycle education.
Registration of credits (see this page in Swedish for more information):
- Ladok registration of courses at other departments within Uppsala University is managed by the department providing the course. The only exeptions are the Pedagogic course, Introduction to Biostatistics and the Knowledge radiation protection, that are registered by the doctoral student's department.
- Presentations/workshops/seminars etc, are registered by our department. Please always use this form and course certificate if relevant, and send to the research administrator. A list of participants must be included.
- Courses outside of the university. Note that the doctoral student's exminer must sign the form for courses at Swedish universities.
- Credit transfers for whole compulsory courses needs to be approved of by the director of studies of the third-cycle programme at the faculty.
30 hp Doctoral degree (All courses should be registered in Uppdok)
15 hp Research education courses
|8,5 - 11,5 hp||Mandatory courses|
Introduction to Doctoral Studies, web based course.
|9 hp||Introduction to Scientific Studies|
|3 hp||Research Ethics and Philosophy of Science|
|2,5 hp||Scientific Presentation|
|3,5 hp||Introduction to Biostatistics|
|Knowledge of Laboratory Animals||Mandatory courses if the project so requires|
|1,5 hp||Radiation Protection Fundamentals course||Mandatory course if the project so requires|
|1,5 hp||At least one presentation (oral or poster) at an international conference of relevance to the research track|
At least 5 hp Participation in a research track
Log in to Ladok (with student ID) in order to see your credits and print course certificates: https://www.student.ladok.se/student/loggain
Signing in Ladok
The examiner needs to sign for the credits in Ladok (not credit transfers). Read more about how to apply for permission to sign in Ladok in Medarbetarportalen (empoyee portal): https://mp.uu.se/web/info/undervisa/studieadm/studieadm-system/ladok
Halftime seminar is compulsory for PhD students of the Medical Faculty, see information on the Faculty website. Below is information about what is applicable at the department.
Here you can find routines the department for halftime seminars on Zoom.
- The halftime committee shall consist of three members, independant from the PhD project, of whom at least two shall be associate professor competent. No more than one may come from the same department as the PhD student or supervisors.
- The main supervisor fills in this document and send to the administrator no later than four weeks before the scheduled halftime seminar.
- The administrator sends out information about the halftime on the department maillist three weeks before the scheduled halftime seminar.
- The written report and articles/manuscripts should be sent to the halftime committee at least 2 weeks before the halftime seminar. The the administrator should also receive the written report for registration at the department.
- Administrator fills in the halftime committee protocol and send it to the main supervisor a few days in advance.
- 10-15 copies of the kappa should be copied and posted in the seminar room as well as a copy of any completed articles.
- At the seminar the supervisor greets everyone welcome.
See the faculty website for more information regarding the application for Licentiat seminar. You can also find more information about the Licentiate seminar in the Guidelines for Third-cycle Education.
Application for Licentiate seminar
The application process is similar to the application for public defence and application is also submitted in the same electronic system at the Faculty website. The application should be sent to the Committee for Third-Cycle Education (KUF) so that it is processed at the meeting at least 6 weeks before the seminar. If possible, send your application as a pdf file to the research education administrator before sending it in the application system. As for the defence application, before a final proposal is submitted, the supervisor is to consult with a representative of KUF.
The same guidelines applies at the department as for the halftime seminar.
These are the necassary annexes needed in the application:
- Candidate’s summary of the included papers
- Main supervisor’s summary of the thesis newsworthyness and the student's effort. Should be signed by the supervisor.
- Reporting card See the guidelines for third-cycle education on how to distribute.
- Transcript of records from Ladok with relevant courses marked - log in to Ladok or ask research education administrator (you need at least 15 credits, 2 credits should be subject specific, and the mandatory courses must be completed)
- Copy of all the component parts of the dissertation
A research plan after licentiate seminar until completion of doctoral degree should also be added if the doctoral student will continue to study.
10-15 copies of the essay are copied and made available at the department at least three weeks before the seminar. If the student was admitted with the goal of terminating his or her studies with a licentiate degree, a notification of submission of a doctoral thesis must be digitally published.
Application for public defense
- Reserve the date
- Book a lecture hall and a smaller room för the Examination board
- Consultation with a member of the Committee for doctoral studies
- Check plagiarism
- Send application to the Committee for doctoral studies so it is treated at one of their meetings no later than 12 weeks before the scheduled defense date. If possible, send your application as a pdf file to the research education administrator before sending it in the application system.
- After the meeting, the Examination Committee has 10 working days for the preview – it’s the supervisor's responsibility to collect reviews according to the faculty's instructions
- Committee for doctoral studies takes up the application again and makes the final decision
Reserving the date and supervisor’s consultation
Time for the defense is booked in the dissertation calendar. Reservation should be made well in advance, 6-8 months before the defense. At the same time, book rooms for the defense act and the examination committee meeting.
Before the final draft is submitted to the Committee for doctoral education (KUF), the supervisor shall consult with representative of KUF, but not the chairperson, vice chairperson or the doctoral student representatives.
During the consultation, the following is discussed, see checklist in the employee portal:
- Selection of opponent
- Composition of the examination committee
- Issues of conflict of interest (see regulations, in Swedish only)
- Papers included in the thesis
The application for defense shall be treated by KUF at one of their meetings no later than 12 weeks prior to the scheduled day of the defense. Last day to submit documents to KUF is 12 days before the meeting. For the Head of department to have time to approve and send the documents to KUF in time, they must be provided according to the deadlines below.
Meetings of the Committee for doctoral education (KUF) http://www.medfarm.uu.se/vetenskapsomradet/sammantradeskalendarium/
Please note! KUF normally meets once per month, on a tuesday. The Head of department needs to approve your defense application at latest 12 days before the meeting, which is normally on a Thursday. Finish your application well ahead of the deadline! Applications cannot be approved every day so please send your application a couple of days before the deadline, ideally 14 days before the KUF meeting. If possible, send your application as a pdf file to the research education administrator before sending it in the application system.
Observe that it is the main supervisor's responsibility to check that the thesis is checked for plagiarism. Send the text from the introductory paper and possible unpublished manuscripts to a plagiarism checker, for example "URKUND". Send the result to the research education administrator for registration. Already published material does not need to be checked.
Applications for public defense is made online by the doctoral student by filling in the doctoral thesis defence application (online form) available on the faculty website. Make sure that your browser is updated. If you have technical issues, try using another broswer (Mozilla Firefox is the most optimal). Contact KUF if you need support.
To fill the form AKKA login with A-password is required. When doctoral student fills the form and click "send" the supervisor will receive a notification via email, informing that the application is waiting for approval. If the supervisor thinks something needs to be adjusted, he/she can return the application to the PhD student who must make the adjustment. When the supervisor approves the application, it is sent to the Head of department for approval, after which it is forwarded to KUF. Be sure to begin the process in good time because there are many parties involved and delays can easily occur.
In order to complete the application the following documents are needed:
- Doctoral student’s summary of the included papers
- Supervisor’s brief description of the thesis newsworthy and student's effort (signed)
- Reporting card See the guidelines for third-cycle education on how to distribute.
- Transcript of records form Ladok with relevant courses marked - log in to Ladok or contact the research education administrator (or any course administrator)
- The scientific articles included in the thesis
Examination Board’s preview of thesis
For public defenses after January 1, 2014, the examination board will do a preview of the thesis. This change is implemented by the Medical faculty to ensure the quality of theses in medicine and pharmacy at Uppsala University.
The new routine means that at all dissertations, three examination board members are appointed to participate in the preview and defense. At KUF's meeting when the public defense application is reviewed, the examination committee and the coordinator for the preview is appointed. KUF will then contact the examination committee members the day after the meeting. The examination board has 10 working days for the preview, counting from the day KUF announces its decision.
The preview coordinator is appointed by KUF on a proposal from the supervisor, if the chairman of the defense is not part of the examination committee. It is important that the supervisor, when asking the examination board to be part of the dissertation, informs about the timetable for the preview. The supervisor has the ultimate responsibility that the preview is submitted in time for a decision.
The application for public defense is reviewed again at KUF’s next meeting to decide if a public defense will be allowed, based on the examination committee's recommendation. The decision is announced the day after the meeting. If the decision is negative a new defense date cannot be closer than three months from the first specified date.
Examination board members will receive the instructions and timetable directly from KUF. The preview coordinator confirms the results of the preview with a signature and sends the protocol to KUF.
The ten days the examination board has for the preview is a fairly tight schedule and it may be a good idea to send at least the published articles to the board members before the formal deadlines.
With dissertations, halftime seminars and licentiate seminars there are costs for the examination committee travels, housing, printing of thesis etc. To help with at least some part of these costs the department finances:
- Halftime seminars: 2 000 kr
- Dissertations: 28 000 kr
The major costs for dissertations are the fee to the opponent and printing of the thesis. The fee is 12 000 kr and with payroll tax costs, it’s about 17 000 kr. The cost of the thesis varies according to the number of books, number of pages and color pages. Most PhD students (in agreement with supervisor) choose to print 200-300 books and the cost tends to be about 20-30 000 kr.
In cases where these costs are exceeded the main supervisor/research group has to cover the difference.