Welcome to doctoral studies at the Department of Women’s and Children’s Health
Doctoral studies constitute an important part of our departments’ activity with active research in multiple subjects. Information about doctoral studies is available at the faculty webpage. You can also find information, and local instructions for our department, in the links to the left. Good luck with your doctoral studies!
- Hanna Taylor
OBS! Note that this page has moved. Except for information regarding the application for doctoral studies, it is now only available in the employee portal.
Application doctoral studies
Application for admission (online form) at the faculty website
- Guidelines for Third-cycle Education Obs! New guidelines 2022-01-01.
- Form financial plan
- Certificate of absence from clinical duties for doctoral studies
- Certificate of absence from clinical duties for doctoral supervision (for use in Sweden)
- Template for research plan
Meetings of the Committee for doctoral education (KUF)
Please note! KUF normally meets once every month, on a tuesday. The director of postgraduate studies has to approve every application at latest on the friday 11 days before the meeting. Since the application also is reviewed internally it has to be finished well ahead of the deadline. Ideally, the application should be submitted as a pdf to the research education administrator at least three weeks before the meeting. Also consider that the process might take several weeks in case there is something that needs to be supplemented.
Procedure for admission
Formal decisions about admission to graduate studies are taken by the Committee for doctoral education at the Faculty of Medicine. For them to handle the application it’s required to be approved by the department head. At the Department of Women's and Children's Health the head of department has delegated the task of reviewing all applications. The Research education group ("Forskarutbildningsgruppen", FUG) consists of:
- Professor Karin Enskär, (Director of postgraduate studies at the department)
- Assistant professor Erik Olsson
- Post doc representantive Kine Johansen
- PhD student Maria Romare Strandh
- Administrative support Hanna Taylor (pediatrics, IMCH, Physiotherapy and overall) / Eva-Lena Wahlberg (Obstetrics/Gynecology, Healthcare Sciences and E-Health as well as Neuropsychopharmacology)
- To start the application process the PhD student and main supervisor is required to have an staff AKKA-login. Contact the research education administrator to be registered in AKKA. The PhD student fills the application online form (the preliminary individual study plan). The main supervisor writes the study plan (template).
- Once the application is complete, the PhD student clicks “Save and close”, download the PDF-file and send to the research education administrator for coordination of the internal review group.
- After the application is approved by the review group the PhD student is notified that the application can be forwarded (by clicking "Send" in the application system") to the director of postgraduate studies who in turn approves and thus sends it to the Committee for doctoral education. If revisions are required the supervisor instead sends the application back to the PhD student.
- After admittance to the doctoral education, the PhD student and the supervisors will make a revision of the individual study plan in the onlline form and send it to KUF. The revised study plan should reach KUF within 6 months after admission (at 100% activity). See the post-registration seminar (PRS) as a part of this process at the department.
Master degree. 240 ECTS credits of which 60 ECTS credits are required on advanced level. Education at the second level of relevance in the research field.
Announcement of PhD position
According to the Swedish law (Högskoleförordningen 7 kap 37 §) PhD positions should be announced unless one of the following exceptions are met:
- The PhD student is undergoing the education employed by an employer other than the university.
- The PhD student has previously started the education at a different university.
- If there are similar special circumstances.
Exceptions according to the third paragraph above can be done for a person with specific external funding intended for postgraduate studies and obtained in competition.
Planned funding should be given for 4 years (full-time) or 8 years (part-time). In the template document, specify which contributors who provide the financing and attach it to the application.
- For county employees, certificate from the clinic director
- For other employer-funded training, a copy of agreement is attached
- At least two supervisors.
- The main supervisor must have participated in the Research Training’s Supervisors’ Information Day. Read more at the faculty website. New main supervisors (after 1 July 2021) should also have attended the course "Research ethics for postdocs and researchers in medicine". Read more at Centre for Research Ethics & Bioethics (CRB).
- At least one supervisor should be assistant professor (docent).
- One of the supervisors should be employed or co-opted to Uppsala University.
- The main principle is that the main supervisor should be employed or affiliated to the Department of Women's and Children's Health, and have the main part of their research here.
Attach certificate from the supervisor course.
Attach certificate of absence from clinical duties for doctoral supervision if the main supervisor works at the County Council.
- The examiner must be at least a docent.
- Teacher employed by Uppsala University, also include adjunct.
- Active in the department in which the doctoral student is registered.
- Must have participated in the Research Training’s Supervisors’ Information Day. Read more at the faculty website.
- The examiner and supervisor must be two different and independent people.
- The examiner should not be examiner for too many PhD students (max 6 students), check this with FUG.
- Should chair and participate in the Post-Registration Seminar.
- Should participate in the yearly follow-up of the individual study plan.
- Should sign for some of the PhD students credits in Ladok (for credits without any other responsible examiner).
- Should be a possible contact person for the PhD student other than the supervisors
- Is encouraged to participate in the halftime seminar.
- The examiner may be chair of the public defence but may never be on the examining committee.
Head of department
Karin Enskär (Director of postgraduate studies at the department)
Attached separately on 2-3 A4 pages (excluding references) written by the supervisors according to this template. The doctoral student are not allowed be involved in writing the project description before admission. The research should include 4 years.
Certified copy of qualifications must be attached. Transcripts from universities outside Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland and Iceland will be sent to Swedish Higher Education Authority (Universitetskanslerämbetet) for assessment.
Certificate of completed TOEFL test
English level 6 is needed for students with foreign education/degree, but not for students with a Nordic university degree, native English speakers or if the education is undergone in English. The latter should be verified with a certificate from the university in question or from Swedish Higher Education Authority (Universitetskanslerämbetet).